Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lush Lashes

Don't you hate mascara commercials? The models' lashes are so long and thick! And, of course, I fall for every commercial.

As a person with an eyelash obsession, I have tried tons of brands, lengthening formulas, thickening formulas, undercoats and even the mascara that becomes tubes around your lashes.

Now, I believe I have finally found the best solution. My hairstylist asked if I had eyelash extensions and my husband (and for a guy to notice lashes, they must stand out) said that my eyelashes looked fake.

To begin, curl your lashes with a Shu Uemura curler ($19). Get the curler as close to the base of your eyelashes as possible; be careful not to pinch your lid! Squeeze and hold for twenty seconds per eye. This is the best curler I have ever used, and it is well worth the money.

Apply a lengthening mascara to your upper lashes. I have found MAC's Zoom Fast Black Lash ($13) does the job best. Start at the base of your outer lashes and wiggle the wand up; continue this until you reach your inner lashes.

MAC Zoom Fash Black Lash

MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash

If needed, comb your lashes to separate them. If you have very straight lashes, you can curl them again. Be sure that the mascara is dry before curling lashes again or you will end up with lots of clumps.

Take a thickening/volumizing mascara and apply a second coat of mascara to your top lashes. My favorite is MAC's Opulash ($14). Comb your lashes if they appear too clumpy.

MAC Opulash

MAC Opulash

inally, use a waterproof mascara on your lower lashes. I use MAC's Splashproof Lash ($13) for my lower lashes, and as my go-to waterproof mascara when I'm at the pool or beach. I like using a waterproof formula on my bottom lashes to combat the black under eye smudges some mascaras leave. When you apply mascara to your lower lashes, take time to only get the lashes and not any on your lash line.

For the thickest and longest looking lashes, use the blackest mascara you can find.

For precise mascara application, a magnified mirror is helpful. A magnified mirror is also great for eye shadow application.

If you use MAC's Fix+ ($18), which I highly recommend, spritz before doing your lashes to avoid any smearing or smudging.

Buy MAC products online, or find a store near you.

Follow me on Twitter, follow the Stylista File Blog and join me on Facebook®

For wardrobe & image consulting visit The Stylista Website.
Photos from MAC

No comments:

Post a Comment