Friday, July 16, 2010

Hit the Gym in Style

People make an excuse that doesn't make much sense when it comes to working out: "I can't go to the gym because I don't look good enough." Hello! You are going to the gym to look better than you do now, but you don't have to go there looking bad.

Working out is a key part of living a long, healthy, happy life. Whether you go to Pilates class, Body Pump, decide to run on the treadmill or just do P90X at home, wearing a comfortable and flattering gym outfit can give a confidence boost to keep your booty working out.

Under Armour Duplicity 2 Sports Bra, from REI

Under Armour Duplicity 2 Sports Bra, $40 from REI

I like bright, bold colors in workout gear to keep my spirits up. How bad can it be when you are wearing a lime green sports bra with matching socks? If you normally shy away from bright colors, give them a try at the gym. You can get away with those colors there, plus bright colors will cheer you up. I love stretching and seeing my multi-colored striped ankle socks. I may be sweating, but I'm also smiling!

Retro Cats Anklet Socks, from Absolute Socks

Retro Cats Anklet Socks, $7.99 from Absolute Socks

Your personal comfort is key, but I like to pair my sports bras or workout tops with biker-type black shorts. This is a foolproof way to always have a matching gym outfit- just grab any top and any pair of shorts. If you would feel more comfortable in running shorts, leggings or yoga pants, find some that work for you.

C9 Champion Bike Shorts, from Target

C9 Champion Bike Shorts, $14.99 from Target

I am a sweater, so sports bras that look nice, are supportive and fit well are a must since I take off my t-shirt or tank right away. It is so important to try on tops you will wear in the gym. When you try them on (buy them and try them on at home if you must), run, jump, kick, stretch, do some sit-ups and any other exercises you can think of to make sure you are comfortable. When you find a brand and style you like, buy enough to last a week; this way you won't have to do laundry and won't have any excuses not to workout.

C9 Champion Running Tank in Rose Black, from Target

C9 Champion Running Tank in Rose Black, $18.99 from Target

In the fall and winter, I like fitted camis or tanks. They keep you cool, but cover your tummy in the cool air. The thin, long sleeve, fitted tops are great in the winter. I'm in a warm climate and shorts, leggings and yoga pants can be worn in the winter. But, if you do live in cold climate, layer your workout clothing for warmth, but also in case you get too hot, you can easily lose layers. A hat, fleece gloves and warm socks may be needed for the coldest days.

Comfortable shoes are so important. Do not skimp when it comes to buying your gym shoes. Try on several pairs and run, walk, jump and kick in your shoes before you buy them. When you try on your workout shoes, wear the type of socks you will typically wear to the gym. After finding my perfect brand and style of shoes, I bought three pairs at once when they were on sale!

SkirtSports RunnersDream Long Sleeve Shirt, from REI

SkirtSports RunnersDream Long Sleeve Shirt, $55 from REI

I'll admit when I'm in the gym, my hair and makeup must be somewhat done. I like to wear a headband to keep fly aways in check, but also put my hair in a ponytail to stay cool. I also like to give my lashes a coat of waterproof mascara and dab on some lipglosss.

French Couture Split Headband, from Ulta

French Couture Split Headband, $6 from Ulta

These little things make me feel more confident when I'm sweating and grunting through one-armed-push-ups.

Follow me on Twitter, follow the Stylista File Blog and join me on Facebook®

For wardrobe & image consulting visit The Stylista Website

Photos from REI, Ulta, Absolute Socks, Target

No comments:

Post a Comment