Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day to Night Skirts

I'm a dress, skinny black pants, skinny jeans and jeggings person. The few skirts I have rarely make it out of the closet. So, I began thinking what makes a skirt "good"? And, how should I incorporate skirts into my wardrobe?


Gryphon Silk Chiffon Scalloped Skirt

Gryphon Silk Chiffon Scalloped Skirt, $149 from Gilt

Skirts are kind of funny pieces of clothing. In my mind, they are half dress and half pants. A dress is a complete outfit- no figuring out what top to wear or what pants work best. A skirt is feels dressier, like a dress, but you still have the problem that pants present to find a perfect top.

Elizabeth and James Paper Bag Skirt

Elizabeth and James Paper Bag Skirt, $185 from ShopBop

Though, like dresses and pants, a skirt can be casual (denim), work appropriate (pencil) or for going out (the little black skirt). Casual and work skirts, at least in my mind, seem to be well defined. But, it is that going out skirt that is so difficult to wear. You don't want to look slutty (hello, little black skirt), but you still want to look dressier for night. Maybe a day to night skirt is the answer?

Derek Lam Panel Front Wrap Skirt

Derek Lam Panel Front Wrap Skirt, $495 from ShopBop

I decided to look for skirts in colors other than black, with interesting details and luxe fabrics. With the focus on the skirt, you don't need a top that screams for attention. Go with simple tanks (Rory Beca has some great options) that you can throw a jacket over when the weather cools. In the spring and summer, opt for strappy heels or gladiator sandals. You can wear tights with chunkier heels or boots in the fall and winter.

Wink Tiz Skirt

Wink Tiz Skirt, $225 from ShopBop

If you must have a black skirt in your wardrobe, look for one that is not the typical tight, black mini. Still, keep your top simple, but don't be afraid to add some bold color.

Dallin Chase Black Dobby Skirt

Dallin Chase Black Dobby Skirt, $38 from ideeli

See, skirts are more versatile than I thought. I'm going to stock up now!

Follow me on Twitter, follow the Stylista File Blog and join me on Facebook®.

For wardrobe & image consulting visit The Stylista Website.
Photos from Gilt, ideeli, ShopBop

No comments:

Post a Comment