Tuesday, May 4, 2010

London & Amsterdam Style

I spent just over a week in London and Amsterdam. I hit all the tourist musts, walked a ton, ate some wonderful food, drank lots of cider and noticed what the locals were wearing.

Luckily, the weather was great in both cities. We had sunshine, a cool breeze and only a little rain. It was in the 60's during the day and in the 40's at night- so a light jacket was still needed even though upon our return it was near 90 degrees here!

Ladies in London are loving leggings and tights still. I saw lots of sheer tights under cut off denim shorts and tunics paired with leggings. I only saw a few people wearing heels, and those were heeled boots. Everyone else was wearing ballet flats or gladiator sandals. Big bags were a must- most people ride a train to/from work and don't have a car to stash their belongings in during the day. Everyone was fairly casual, but still put together.

I saw this woman on a Sunday transferring trains. She was one of the few with an outstanding style and I just had to take a picture. You can't tell, but she has a large white flower clip on the left side of her hair and the skirt of the dress had layers of tulle underneath.

London Street Style Train

Amsterdam was very casual and laid back. Jeans with t-shirts, tanks or hippy style tops were worn by the women. Sneakers, flip flops and ballet flats kept them comfortable while walking or riding bicycles to their destination.

I was there during their biggest holiday of the year- Queen's Night and Day. Everyone decked themselves in orange, whether it be an orange dress and scarf or a neon orange suit with tails and top hat. The whole city turned orange and partied for 24 hours.

Check back for more pics!

For wardrobe & image consulting visit TheStylista Website

2 comments:

  1. Going to Paris and London in June so I found this so interesting.. especially about no heels.
    What?! Oh well, I guess I will be the different one. Glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, my husband had me walking all over the city. The London Marathon was held one day we were there and I told him he made me walk at least a half marathon. My feet were dying, even wearing comfortable flats. But, if you aren't on a mission to walk to every landmark in the city, you will be much better off.

    ReplyDelete